Designer colour scheme: Simply Scandi
The Light Between Oceans is a seriously romantic story that takes place on our very own Albany shores and is available on Netflix for your viewing pleasure #yourewelcome. With no better time to explore WA’s backyard, this dreamy film has definitely inspired us to travel South. Not only does this tear-jerking story detail a beautiful love story that takes place in a remote lighthouse, but it was also the meeting point for international celebs, Swedish actress Alicia Vikander and spunky Michael Fassbender in real life. So, is there a better-looking celebrity couple? Nej. That’s ‘no’ in Swedish for y’all.
Just as Tom falls for Isabel in this onscreen romance, so did the German-born, Irish-bred actor for his Swedish belle. The chemistry between this unbelievably good-looking duo is what Scandi style is to interiors. A match made in Scandi heaven (and introduced on our Australian shores no less).
The Scandinavian home design offers the ultimate in stylish minimalism. Each and every element is thoughtfully considered. From sleek, functional shelving to beautiful surfaces, Simply Scandi creates true beauty in keeping it simple and fresh and offers a welcoming and uncluttered home all year round. In fact, this trend has become enormously popular over the last few years, in line with an increasing move towards low-maintenance living. With its sleek and clean design and fewer items to keep on top of, Scandi design is the perfect choice for modern families. To put it simply, It’s all about simplicity and minimal consumption because less really is more.
A Scandi exterior love affair
Now, back to our Swedish celeb. A little goss for y’all; Alicia Vikander is a classically trained ballet dancer who once dated fellow swede Alexander Skarsgard from True Blood. Though they weren’t a recipe for success, the simple Scandi palette is. Our Simply Scandi collection enhances the use of crisp white space. The exterior boasts a contrasting painted finish in Wattyl Surfmist and Tumblestone, paired with Harmony roof tiles in Flint, or a choice of Colorbond finishes in Surfmist or Windspray. The Surfmist and Windspray selections will have you feeling like you’re on your own remote lighthouse island in no time.
It’s time to hygge
Inside, the open plan living, kitchen and dining space are transformed into a haven of relaxation by the soft Wattyl Feather Dawn and Grey Pearl paintwork, wooden cabinetry and timber laminate flooring in Elka Weathered Oak by Trevors Carpets. Now, when it comes to furnishing your Simply Scandi abode, Scandi interior experts say that where there is white, bring in contrasting clean lines to add a touch of glamour and European elegance and timber accents for warmth and charm. Accessories such as jute rugs, indoor plants, considered lamps, candle holders, and muted wooden furniture help tie the space together and create a warm hygge interior, continuing the uncluttered, minimal yet cosy feel.
Before you tuck yourself in for your Netflix and Chill session of The Light Between Oceans, let’s chat about the rear of the home. The alfresco is complete with a large undercover space designed for year-round entertaining. Contrasting materials add to the sense of light and calm, including the concrete aggregate flooring and Laminex Dansk Maple pale woodgrain seating. Pair your minimal Scandi exterior with a beautiful Olive tree and cosy outdoor throws, and you’re nailing the serene, Swedish cosy vibes.
So, if you’re looking for a home design that is cool, calm and collected, the Simply Scandi collection is a great place to start.
Create your own Scandi lighthouse:
1. The Bleached Watson Hand-Woven Jute rug by Temple & Webster is wonderfully affordable and works perfectly in a relaxed Scandi setting.
2. Target’s cotton/wool blend Neve Throw with fringe detailing and neutral multi-coloured palette will bring style and warmth.
3. Would this be Simply Scandi without an Ikea feature? Nej. This Lauters floor lamp will have you creating a soft, cosy atmosphere with its textile shade and adjustable stand.
4. The luxurious life-like Olive tree via Alfresco Emporium will create a stunning rustic vibe helping to complete your Simply Scandi interior.
5. Another selection from our favourite Scandi interior experts Ikea. This Farlov 3-seater slipcover sofa featured a yarn-dyed fabric with natural elements of flax for a textured, crisp feel.
6. The Cosh table light by Freedom is a modern take on the 60’s mushroom lamp classic. In a dark green metal, this piece will provide the perfect statement against your minimalist backdrop.
7. Rattan and Wicker are to Scandi Interiors what Alicia is to Fassbender. Adairs have a gorge range of Rio large Natural baskets in a stunning woven design for both functional and aesthetic purposes.
8. At the heart of Simply Scandi living is functionality, simplicity and minimalism, and this Potter Fabric Dining Chair from Life interiors is just that. This classic design features an ashwood frame, curved plywood seat and softly upholstered fabric.
Loving the Scandinavian vibes? Jump to our Simply Scandi Pinterest Board.
Not feeling Simply Scandi? Check out our of other interior colour schemes.
View other looks