Raise the roof!
It’s time to get high on life. We’re talking, your new home getting a new roof! But hey, if you’re not yet building your Smart home dreamhouse, no worries! This blog will give you all the deets and a headstart on this exciting phase of construction.
If you are roof ready, you would have already picked between our two amaze roof covers – COLORBOND® steel roof or Harmony roof tiles. Just a little refresher on these beauties:
- COLORBOND® steel roof – this steel has paid its dues, being put through some extreme testing in Australian weather conditions. So, it can boast its lifelong performance without question.
2. Harmony roof tiles – these concrete roof tiles are all about natural thermal mass insulation. This basically means that they boost your home’s thermal performance (and energy savings) while looking fab in the process.
How does the roof go up?
A specialist carpenter (like a normal carpenter but special-er) will build the roof frame that supports the roofing materials on site. Then, inc ome the roof plumbers who install the gutters and downpipes.
All of this is happening while other tradies lay the plumbing pipes and chase the walls in prep for electrical and smart wiring throughout your home – phewww lots happening in this stage.
Gutters and things
Let’s talk gutter installation! Fun, right?! In most cases if you’ve opted for a tiled roof, a roof plumber will install gutters before the roof cover is installed. If you’ve opted for a Colorbond roof, your gutters and fascia would have been measured before this process and installed at the same time as the roof sheeting.
Roof frames are about as complex as keeping up the drama of Bachelor of Paradise! Each frame has to meet the requirements of the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards. This means it must be:
- In the right location to support the roofing materials
- Connected, bolted, strapped, and tied exactly as the engineer requires
- Pitched correctly… The list goes on
It even gets right down to the type of bolts used and how many nails are in each of the proprietary connecting brackets! But, we can worry about that while you just sit back knowing that your roof will stay on when those Perth winds come blowing. We got chu.
Next up? Internal works.