We’ve put together our top 14 quick tips for organising your pantry.
1) Before starting – plan your storage needs. Google search qwerky storage ideas, or visit stores such as Kmart, Big W, Target, Ikea for storage products.
2) Completely clean and de-clutter the pantry. Remove everything from the pantry onto the kitchen bench and give the pantry a thorough clean out.
3) Throw out expired products or those past its best before date.
4) Put aside anything you’ve never used and probably never will. Donate it to a charity or friend. No hoarding.
5) Make a note of all products close to their expiry and place them at front of shelves, plan to use them while meal planning the following week.
6) Arrange ingredients in height order on shelves so that taller items are in the back and shorter items are in the front.
7) Label all clear containers using a permanent black pen, address labels cut in half or masking tape so you can easily identify items.
8) Designate areas in the pantry for different food categories or food groups, i.e. keep “instant” meals together, “ethnic spices” together and all pasta together.
9) Transfer any bagged items into containers. Move items such as flour, pasta and cereal into clear containers or recycled food jars so they can stack.
10) Move perishables from bags into linked baskets. Note that potatoes and onions should not be stored together. Onions, garlic and shallots will all keep longer if stored in brown paper bags punched with holes for ventilation.
11) Utilise space on walls or door and hang a spice rack.
12) Use shelf dividers or tiered shelves to maximise vertical space.
13) Make use of corners with single and tiered turntables.
14) Allocate sections for non-food items, such as paper towels, napkins, plastic utensils, plastic bags, foil, wrap, wax, cleaning supplies, cooking equipment, slow cookers, mixes etc.
Step back and admire your newly organised pantry which will definitely give guests ‘pantry envy’ when they visit next.
Just keep your pantry organised after every shopping trip and aim to continue placing relevant food items together in their designated areas.
Feature Image Source: The Organised Housewife
Header Image Source: Pegasus Pest Control