Designer colour scheme: Monochromatic
Emma Stone and Emma Thompson’s next big hit, Cruella, is hitting our screens, and critics have suggested it’s the next Devil Wears Prada (is there a more iconic film? Nope!). In the Disney production, Emma Stone plays the totally fierce and intimidatingly scary Cruella and, in doing so, rocks a mix of leather, lace and black & White silhouettes in this retold classic. With an appetite for mischief and for being notoriously fashionable, Cruella is much like our Monochrome Palette, effortlessly chic and very bold.
Set against the Punk Rock Revolution backdrop, this Disney production is a fierce story of fashion and mischief. But don’t be fooled by its links to G-rated 101 Dalmatians; this version is adult approved. Cruella says, ‘a new day brings new opportunities, and I was ready to make a statement’ – So too is our Monochrome style. This black and white bold look is a popular choice for homes across Perth, and it’s oh-so-easy to see why. Chic yet understated, this design adds a sense of allure that can be continued throughout the interior for maximum effect.
Exterior palette: black, on black, on black (duh?!)
Now, in the fashion world of Cruella, making an entrance is what it’s all about. This exterior palette achieves balance through the statement front door, finished in Colorbond Surfmist. Nestled next to the large black-framed windows, it creates the perfect entryway into the home and sets the right chicest tone from the start.
Ok, so ordinarily, we wouldn’t tell you to judge a book by its cover, but in this instance, every element is meticulously considered, so we encourage this notion. The trick to making a monochrome exterior really pop is by adding a sense of texture, which helps to provide a focal point amongst the dark colours. Our Monochrome exterior collection features a Facebrick wall in Vintage Red, working with the Habitat roof tiles in Astral black and the Centurion garage door finished in Colorbond Monument black. It’s no coincidence that the exterior colour palette mimics the fashionable red lip and the chic black ensemble of Cruella…
Interiors fit for 101 dalmatians
With this interior lewk, you don’t need to embrace your wicked side like Cruella. Monochrome is all about embracing the bold and fashionable, and our interior and exterior selections make this totally achievable. The overall effect of this mix of colours and materials is incredibly striking, with the blacks and greys bringing in an urban attitude that gives the home a truly modern feel, both now and into the future. Now onto the interior furnishings dahlings. Cruella suggests that the idea of being labelled ‘normal’ is the cruelest insult. These monochrome interior selections are far from normal, they are unique and unapologetically fashionable.
Create your own monochrome lair:
1. Now, because every interior needs a bit of greenery, even the chicest of them all, this LSA International Pleat Vase via Amara will chicly house your bunch of blooms.
2. The rustic 4 leg wood stool by April & Oak in black is a subtle way to incorporate timber into your setting.
3. Temple & Webster’s Original European Bentwood Armchair takes inspiration from the 19th century design No 18 Thonet chair. With the design originating in Europe and popular in Parisian cafes, this chair promises a black monochrome chic, cool appeal.
4. Constructed using ancient looming techniques, Miss Amara’s Vaasa Grey felted wool hand-knotted rug will tie in nicely with the grey accents in our monochrome palette.
5. Inspired by contemporary Italian design, West Elm’s bold and sculptural Totem table lamp is an eye-catching combination of modernist ceramic arts and functional lighting.
6. The Palermo 2 Seater Sofa in a crisp white is a delightful nest of cloud-like comfort, perfect for our warm, coastal climate.
7. The Ipanema bedside table via Life Interiors is a modern, high quality and timeless powder coated timber design for your monochrome interior. The curved corners and simple silhouette will also add a touch of softness.
8. The Heirloom Stripe cushion by Temple & Webster is made of 100% luxurious linen and sure to add a comfortable touch to your interior, with an ever so slight addition of colour (in a very neutral dark green, of course).
Loving the black-on-black-on-black? Enter the dark side in style with our Monochromatic Pinterest Board.
Not feeling Monochromatic? Check out our of other interior colour schemes.
View other looks