Designer colour scheme: Industrial Warehouse
With the news of Jaffleck, or is it Bennifer? Anyway, the news of Jennifer Lopez reigniting the flame with Ben Affleck has been plastered over all the tabloids as of late, and we are all about this power-couple reunion. This Hollywood love story is 19 years in the making and has us reminiscing on the infamous ‘Jenny from the block’ music video they both feature in, where Jenny expresses her desire to remain humble and true to her Bronx NYC roots. Ok, this is a very long-winded way to say that this blog is all about that old-school, perfectly imperfect NYC industrial lewk. And nothing says instant cool quite like the industrial warehouse trend. Featuring standout elements such as exposed brick, moody colour palettes and edgy concrete floors, industrial-inspired interiors are designed to make a statement from the moment you step inside, a statement much like Bennifer.
The exteriors (aka exposed brick heaven)
JLO and Ben are known for their lavish public gestures, with Affleck publicly taking out half-page spreads in trade publications singing JLO’s praises and gifting JLO a $100,000 bedazzled toilet seat #extra. Similarly, our Industrial warehouse exterior palette uses a mixture of materials to create an eye-catching impression – though perhaps a little more subtle and low-key than the famous duo. The exterior features exposed Brikmakers brick in Roebuck, contrasting with the dark Harmony roof tiles in Monsoon, or Colorbond steel roofing in Basalt or Shale Grey. The large Affinity picture window frames in Monument provide the ideal finishing touch.
The interiors (aka concrete heaven)
When chatting to Pat O’Brien in a 2003 Interview, JLO said, ‘I like to cook, and I like to make sure he has things, you know, I’m a caretaker.’ With that in mind, we had to design a J-LO worthy kitchen. The exposed lighting in this culinary space creates a bold look, illuminating the stone benchtops and dark Laminex Terril cabinetry. As the hub of the home, the kitchen offers an inviting space for people to come together, with an open-plan layout that’s ideal for entertaining Ben, ahem friends.
‘Don’t be fooled by the rocks that I got, I’m still, I’m still Jenny from the block’.
Although we totally understand the industrial warehouse interior stands well on its own, the bling can help complete the space. The timber laminate flooring in Elka Salvaged Oak by Trevors Carpets creates a balanced neutral palette, helping to ensure the senses are never overwhelmed. Potted plants help to add a touch of colour to dark walls, while cosy leather suites add further texture and warmth. We recommend incorporating a mix of upholstered fabrics in your furnishings to offset the black accents of Industrial design. Scroll on down and see our textured, moody and totally affordable furniture selections.
Create your own industrial warehouse:
1. These premium vintage-style Elmwood barstools combine the wood’s natural grain with the powder-coated steel base to create a unique, industrial feel.
2. A Bird of Paradise plant from The Good Plant Co will bring a sculptural element to your interior while also softening the bold, black accents.
3. Featuring an acacia parquetry design with statement brass handles and legs, this aptly named Park Avenue bar cabinet by Freedom Furniture mixes the traditional with the modern. One New York sour on the rocks pls.
4. Every industrial interior needs chic, functional flare, and this black, sleek coffee table via Kmart will do just the trick.
5. Mid-century show wood high-back leather armchair is the mid-century sleek silhouette you need, and it’s made by industrial trendsetters, West Elm.
6. Soften the lounge interior with the Mariana Fringed Cushion in cashew by Target, made from a blend of linen and Polyester.
7. Consistency is key! Ensure your chosen interior style extends to all areas of the home. For example, this gorge plush, velvet bedhead via Kmart (I know, amazing, right?) comes in a deep, sophisticated charcoal colour to compliment your bedroom space.
8. Now, because more of us are working from home than ever, a chic, industrial-style work lamp is a must. The Ranarp lamp from Ikea features steel joints and a striped textile cord reminiscent of the past.
Now onto the ever-imported aspect of connecting the indoor/outdoor living space. We’ve added a sense of grandeur through the feature wooden ceiling, which works beautifully with the Wattyl White and Wattyl Moody White paint finish on the walls. Just like the pairing of the ruggedly handsome Ben Affleck and NYC Latina popstar JLO, this pairing is perfect and designed to show off.
If you’d like to bring a little warehouse cool into your home, then our Industrial Warehouse collection is the way to do it. Talk to our expert design team today for even more inspiration.
Digging the industrial style? Check out our Industrial Pinterest Board.
Industrial not your style? Check out our other interior colour schemes.
View other looks