Alfresco Flooring Inspiration
Need advice on what to do with the flooring in your alfresco? Get the inspiration and tips from our flooring guide to steer you in the right direction.
Enjoying the great outdoors as we dine, entertain and relax is an essential part of life in Australia, and Perth is no different – enjoying the weather in your backyard is a great part of living here.
Ideally, modern homes should celebrate the alfresco, and have it designed in a way that seamlessly integrates the indoor and outdoor areas of the home while complimenting the home’s overall landscape.
The alfresco should be functional all year round while not only protecting from direct sun and strong winds – it should also have resilient, attractive flooring.
Types of Alfresco Flooring
While some people may use the slab on their alfresco as their outdoor flooring, there are many other flooring options to choose from that can add a touch of luxury.
The most popular options are:
- Natural Stone: One of the better looking flooring options, however it can be slightly expensive. They have a great appearance and are very durable, lasting as long as the life of your home while being maintenance free. With natural stone, you can use irregular shapes to create a cool, mosaic effect or go with straight cut stones for a uniformed appearance.
- Concrete: Nowadays, concrete has been improved vastly, where some concrete looks similar to that of decorative stone but at less of an expense. They are also a durable flooring option without maintenance, however they tend to crack slightly more than stone. The great thing is that they are easy and inexpensive to replace.
- Wood: Wood decking is a popular alfresco flooring option for modern homes in Western Australia. While they are less expensive, they do require more maintenance as they need to be cleaned regularly and sealed at least every two years. Depending on foot traffic, they will need to be restained, refinished and resealed as required. A wood deck is a great flooring option where the ground has a slope, because decks can be built above the ground.
- Tile: Another popular flooring option in Perth – tiles have also come a long way, in a variety of beautiful effects and colours to compliment the colour scheme you have in mind. You just need to ensure they are slip-resistant and are able to withstand outdoor temperature extremes. You will also need to seal outdoor tiles to ensure that the grout doesn’t crack. Tiles are a durable option for high foot traffic areas.
- Brick: A cheaper option for your alfresco flooring, bricks are an appealing choice that is also durable, resilient and straight forward. Depending on what type of theme you were aiming for, brick flooring can look quite nice if aiming for a clean cut look.
Inspirational Alfresco Flooring Options by Smart Homes for Living.
For more inspirational alfresco design tips, see our 5 Ways to Transform your Alfresco with Lighting. To battle the heat this Summer, check out what Top Outdoor Accessories will help you battle the WA climate.
Homes with your
smarts at heart
Sure, we’re the Perth home builders with ‘All the Smarts’, but it’s your smarts that make all the difference. We’re just here to make your new home happen, with expertise, super-smart processes, juicy cost efficiencies, and cuddles - if you’re into that kinda thing.